Positive Psychology in MindMatters
World leading psychologist and expert adviser on wellbeing at the highest level of international public policy, Dr Martin Seligman, will join forces with partners from government, business and community to drive action on wellbeing and resilience for the citizens of South Australia.
Principals Australia Institute is a partner in the Martin Seligman residency of the South Australian Government 'Thinkers in Residence' program. The role of the Thinkers is to bring new ideas into the state and translate them into practical solutions to improve the lives of the people who live there.
Dr Martin Seligman, Ph.D., is one of the most widely-known psychologists of our time. He has spent over 40 years working on the issues of depression, optimism and pessimism. Since 2000, his main mission has been the promotion of the field of positive psychology with a focus on wellbeing and resilience.
As Thinker in Residence, Dr Seligman will combine with partners from government, business and community to drive action on wellbeing and resilience for the citizens of South Australia to see them, and the state, flourish. The residency will also demonstrate that wellbeing can be measured, taught and embedded. Key questions to be addressed are:
- How can we create the conditions for every individual to flourish?
- How can we build wellbeing and resilience into the lives of our communities?
- What skills need to be developed for living a happier, more meaningful and engaging life and help prevent mental health issues becoming problems?
Possible projects which relate to the residency and will be developed by partners include;
- The metrics of wellbeing – how do we measure it?
- Positive Psychology as a whole of school approach
- Training opportunities and exploration of a Masters of Applied Positive Psychology for Australia