Using an evidence-based resilience program is a great way to provide students with proven means of developing their skills and capacities to effectively deal with everyday life challenges.
To get the most out of resilience programs they should be part of a wider whole school approach to resilience. Some of the key features of a successful whole school resilience approach include:
- school leadership is driving implementation and providing ongoing support
- programs are integrated into curriculum and planned
- broader policies and practices are in place that support school community resilience
- staff have ‘bought into’ the program and work to develop their own skills for resilience
- every adult in the school can be a teacher of resilience
- parents and families understand and support the school’s work in this area.